9.15.2008

godspeed, chuck! godspeed!

Finishing a book you love in an ideal setting is integral to the enjoyment factor. With that said, tonight was bliss tightly wrapped in a tortilla of ecstasy (I had a burrito for dinner). "Killing Yourself To Live" by Chuck Klosterman is an unsurpassed achievement of soul-baring pleasure bound between a front and back cover. It's definitely one of my 'Top Ten' favorite books of all time, and that's saying a lot. I've read this book twice now and can unquestionably say that it will not be my last. The last chapter is an especially succinct gem of brilliance. It hits you - HARD. And when coupled with the barren musical landscape of Godspeed! You Black Emperor and a great deal of wine after a nine hour day of production meetings it throws a mean sucker-punch of emotions at your soul. But here's the kicker: The last chapter is only seven pages and yet it directly explains my depressed subconscious of nostalgia for the not so distant past more than any other piece of writing or any other medium of art for that matter. This book defines me. Or maybe, my life so far defines this book. Either way, it makes me think about memories from growing up - ones you can't welcome into your everyday life lest you risk the chance of going APESHIT.

The clock just inched past 2 a.m. and I can't remember the last time I hit the hay before midnight; probably in high school when sleeping was less painful than staying awake (I'm so emo!) and I didn't have legal access to alcohol (no, I'm not an alcoholic). 

Regardless, living is only death in slow motion (thanks Chuck) and I can't seem to find the remote.

1 comment:

emily said...

i'm sort of in awe that you just finished it again, because i am almost done reading it, again. and that is just weird. weird for so many reasons. i agree that it is a life changing book and it is my favorite. and it is weird that in the past month, i have found myself to happen to be reading the exact same book as one of my favorite guy friends twice, and you two live in the same apartment. will with mr. kerouac, and you with sir klosterman. i'm glad you find it as great as i.